Friday, July 09, 2010

Camp Cooking


Our best dutch oven meal was Father's Day. Mike has never, ever taken a photo of food I've cooked, but this time he did! Everything was perfect. Meatloaf, sliced potatoes and onion, with pepper strips, gravy, and crusty bread. It was all so yummy!



Then after I made a cake for desert/ bedtime snack.






No Egg Camping Dutch Oven Chocolate Cake


1 cup white sugar
3 /4 tsp baking powder
1 TBS ground flax seed
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 tsp salt
5 TBS dried milk

Mix together the above ingredients in a heavy zipper bag.
When ready to cook, add 1/4 cup oil and 1 cup plus 2TBS water to the bag and knead until mixed.

I used a medium sized Teflon pie pan to bake the cake. I prepped the coals and used about 18 on top and 18 on the bottom. This isn't what other blogs said but it worked when I tried it at home.
Also I placed the pie pan on an empty tuna can to raise it from the bottom.
I forgot to watch the time...it takes maybe 20 -25 mins to bake???

The cake was Delicious!!!

-----I had a lot of fun preparing for our trip west by cooking in the dutch oven at home. The big thing I learned was to have extra wood/ charcoal going. If the oven seems too cold, then just add more. Extra can just be pushed over to the side.

No comments: